Re: where to buy books

Subject: Re: where to buy books
From: "Robin M. Allen" <robin -dot- m -dot- allen -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:24:43 -0500

Mike Collier - SSG wrote:

> I cringe when I see repeated references on this list to a well known
> internet-based shipper of books. While I'm not offended by occasional
> free advertising on the list for useful products or services, I do want
> to point out the bigger picture of what's happening when you order books
> this way. This is important as I think most technical writers are, like
> me, voracious consumers of books.
>
> I don't know about your neighborhood, but in mine, independent
> booksellers are struggling. The relationship between booksellers and
> writers is symbiotic, with writers supplying material, and the
> bookseller providing useful services such as access to difficult to
> obtain printed material. Now maybe it's a handy thing to be able to
> order right from your desktop, and maybe the 20% discount makes up for
> some of the shipping charges, but I feel that a vital relationship
> between the suppliers and purveyors of printed communication is being
> eaten away by ordering from a place that, unless you live in Seattle,
> takes dollars out of your local literary community and gives nothing
> back.
>
> Independent booksellers of course have been fighting against chain
> bookstores for years, but internet ordering just makes it more of a
> struggle for them. It's great to be able to see reviews and other
> information from these services, but when it comes to ordering the books
> I need, I'll continue to walk down the street. OK, if you live in the
> woods 100 miles away from a bookstore, you're excused.
>
> Topic sentence for list purposes: It's good to buy your technical books
> locally!
>
> Michael Collier
> mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com

Mike:

I patronize my local bookstore for novels, cookbooks, etc., but I use
that "other Seattle company" for technical and/or obscure books that my
local bookstore doesn't carry. And the discount is often more than 20%.
I was able to get Tufte's books at a 40% discount! Something that my
local bookseller gives only on best sellers.

I buy local when I can, but sometimes my pocketbook and time constraints
require that I try to find the best deal.

:Robin Allen