where to buy books

Subject: where to buy books
From: Mike Collier - SSG <MikeCol -at- SBSERVICES -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 11:45:36 -0400

I cringe when I see repeated references on this list to a well known
internet-based shipper of books. While I'm not offended by occasional
free advertising on the list for useful products or services, I do want
to point out the bigger picture of what's happening when you order books
this way. This is important as I think most technical writers are, like
me, voracious consumers of books.

I don't know about your neighborhood, but in mine, independent
booksellers are struggling. The relationship between booksellers and
writers is symbiotic, with writers supplying material, and the
bookseller providing useful services such as access to difficult to
obtain printed material. Now maybe it's a handy thing to be able to
order right from your desktop, and maybe the 20% discount makes up for
some of the shipping charges, but I feel that a vital relationship
between the suppliers and purveyors of printed communication is being
eaten away by ordering from a place that, unless you live in Seattle,
takes dollars out of your local literary community and gives nothing
back.

Independent booksellers of course have been fighting against chain
bookstores for years, but internet ordering just makes it more of a
struggle for them. It's great to be able to see reviews and other
information from these services, but when it comes to ordering the books
I need, I'll continue to walk down the street. OK, if you live in the
woods 100 miles away from a bookstore, you're excused.

Topic sentence for list purposes: It's good to buy your technical books
locally!

Michael Collier
mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com