Re: Frame 4 vs. Frame 5

Subject: Re: Frame 4 vs. Frame 5
From: Dave Meek <meekd -at- WSERVER -dot- DO -dot- LOSRIOS -dot- CC -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:14:42 -0700

At 09:01 PM 6/5/97 +0600, you wrote:
>On 5 Jun 97, Jane Bergen wrote:
>
>> >Why would anyone want to use Version 4?
>>
>> For me, the answer is: cost.
>>
>> The last price I saw for FrameMaker 5.* was nearly $900.00. I work
>> contracts in which I use the client's machines and software. My
>> lack of FrameMaker experience has cost me several extremely
>> lucrative jobs where the client has only FrameMaker. If I can get
>> version 4 for, say, $400.00 (or less), I can learn the bulk of how
>> FrameMaker works. The new features are nice, but I can learn those
>
>Yow, Dave! Where do you shop for software??? I'm looking at PC
>Connection's catalog as I write. The FULL version is $579.95 and the
>upgrade price is $189.95. I don't think I would let that stop me from
>"several extremely lucrative jobs" -- you could pay for that in a
>very short time.

True, if you have the money available. At the start of January I began
shopping around (that's when I got the price quote of $890.00). Two weeks
later fortune proved unkind: unexpected home roof repair, dry rot
discovered in the master bath, brakes on my vehicle went on
strike--essentially the 7 plagues of Egypt paid a personal visit to my life.

>And then go on to get MORE "extremely lucrative
>jobs." Buying software and books is expensive, it's true, but look at
>it as an investment. You cannot afford NOT to keep current with your
>skills or with technology. There's just too much competition.

Again, if you can afford it. My credit cards and bank account can only
accomodate so much at one time. At the moment, they have reached critical
mass. Fortunately, my skills with Word have enabled me to at least generate
enough income to get by.

>If you can't upgrade, see if you can find a competitive upgrade
>price. I always check every avenue before I pay full price for
>software...and have seldom had to pay full price, either.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Jane Bergen

Well, if nothing untoward happens *this* month ... ;)