Re: Frame 4 vs. Frame 5

Subject: Re: Frame 4 vs. Frame 5
From: Dave Meek <meekd -at- WSERVER -dot- DO -dot- LOSRIOS -dot- CC -dot- CA -dot- US>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:56:12 -0700

At 01:18 PM 6/5/97 -0700, Bob Morrisette wrote:
>much material snipped<
>Why would anyone want to use Version 4?

For me, the answer is: cost.

The last price I saw for FrameMaker 5.* was nearly $900.00. I work
contracts in which I use the client's machines and software. My lack of
FrameMaker experience has cost me several extremely lucrative jobs where the
client has only FrameMaker. If I can get version 4 for, say, $400.00 (or
less), I can learn the bulk of how FrameMaker works. The new features are
nice, but I can learn those fairly quickly on the job (a job, I must add, I
won't get unless I have *some* FrameMaker experience).

Of course, I could just spring the $900.00 for version 5. Now let me see,
where is that spare $900.00 I had sitting around? Is it behind the coffee?
Nope. Let me check the sofa cushions. Hmmm. I would have sworn I saw that
money there last night. Although I'd hate to judge before all the facts are
in, it does seem as if I don't have the $900.00 I need.