comments on website

Subject: comments on website
From: Dave Whelan <agi259 -at- FREENET -dot- MB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:37:41 -0500

Recently, I asked for comments on my experimental web site. I promised to
summarize anything I thought might be of value to the list. Several people
replied - here is a summary of their comments, the lessons I learned, and
how I responded:

1) People liked that I included a fee schedule but thought my fees were too low.
Winnipeg is "wholesale city" - nobody buys anything unless it is on sale,
but I have now split my services into more categories and have priced them
differently.

2) Navigating the site was confusing.
I tried too hard to make it easy to move around and in doing so I overdid
the use of links and hot buttons. I have now simplified the site and removed
unnecessary hot buttons.

3) Using some browsers, the placement of my logo was interfering with text.
Different browsers display pages differently. My current browser is LYNX, a
text browser. I had checked the site with two HTML viewers (which displayed
the logos properly), but I was not able to check the site with a graphical
web browser. This shows the value of asking other people to review the
site. I have removed some logo graphics and replaced others.

4) The chronological experience sections were too long.
The resume started out as a five-page paper resume in a strict chronological
sequence. Online resume requires more chunking of linked information. I have
now summarized experience and provided links to more detail.

5) Categories of service needed more definition as potential clients might
expect to get higher level services for lower level prices.
I assumed too much and have now defined the service categories better.

Thanks to all who replied.

Regards,
Dave.