Re: Levity in the workplace -Reply

Subject: Re: Levity in the workplace -Reply
From: Bill Sullivan <bsullivan -at- SMTPLINK -dot- DELTECPOWER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:20:52 -0700

>Is there anyone remaining on this list who still sits in his/her
cubicle and turns out work; doesn't play nerfball in the workplace;
understands that familiarity (in the bar after work) breeds contempt;
spends a full eight hours working?
--
A couple of thoughts.

1. Buck, before you spew out bad platitudes from 40 or 50 years ago,
I would suggest you wake up and smell the roses and look at the good
things the young professionals of the 90s are doing and not doing. I
was around in the days when the young Turks of the world would deal
with their stress by partaking of multi-martini lunches. If people
today have taken on a rubber ball as a stress-relieving device, I'd
say it's an improvement.

2. As technical communicators, it behooves us to know, understand,
and respect the working habits of our readers and users, and to find
ways to write more effectively for these people. We should't be
belittling them. We should be finding ways to get in tune with them.
So get yourself a ball, Tilley, and throw it at Buck for us, will
you? Start playing catch, you two. You might like it.:-)

Bill Sullivan
bsullivan -at- deltecpower -dot- com
San Diego, California