Shrinking Images In PageMaker

Subject: Shrinking Images In PageMaker
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:46:26 -0400

I know this is a more graphics related question, but, as some of the
oriented, so it seemed appropriate. Let me know if it is not.

In the end user guides that I am developing, I am placing many screen
captures. I am capturing from a 20 inch monitor. When I place these
oversized screen captures in PageMaker they cover up the entire page thus
requiring me to shrink the image to about 50% or 60%. The problem is that
when I shrink the images (which are Windows Bitmaps) the output when I
print is blurry and far from professional.

The only file format that I have been able to find that will retain the
information regardless of the % of the image size is EPS. The output of
the EPS files looks great, but when you have tons of captures in one
chapter, it tends to make the file size gargantuan. Are there any other
file formats that will retain graphic integrity when shrunk, but will not
take up so much disk space, and, therefore, not take so much time to
process in PageMaker?

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!