Subject: Summary: Techwr-l held hostage. Cert Day 1
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:17:40 -0500

If I may, a summary of what we covered today. Perhaps it'll help focus the
discussion more on substance.

Issues (apparently) agreed upon:

Certification Benefits
Benefits accruing solely from Certification:
1) A Certificate
2) Something to be used during hiring in lieu of critical appraisal
of individual condidates (because the staff is either unwilling or unable
to make such judgements on their own)

Benefits which can accrue from Certification or from some other source:
1) List of skills required in field
2) Acknowledgement of movement of New Tech toward mainstream of TW

Open Questions (If I miss any, I apologize ahead of time):

1) Do objective standards for TW exist?
2) Is the opinion of fellow TW's an important or accurate evaluation of
your skill?
3) What would be the direct benefit of Certification to individual TW's?
4) What is value of Certificate in relationship to portfolio?
5) What core competencies are common to the field of TC?
6) What effect would existence of Certificate have upon uncertified?
7) What value would employers place upon Certificate?

I apologize for anything I missed. There was a lot of traffic on this and
(not being a Borg) I probably didn't assimilate it all. Bring any
oversights to my attention and I'll update this list when I can. Also bring
any perjorative wording to my attention and I'll try to adjust it as well.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224