Re: Hexadecimal Numbers

Subject: Re: Hexadecimal Numbers
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 14:23:52 -0700

On Jun 25, 1:05pm, James Lockard wrote:
> Subject: Hexadecimal Numbers
> Hello tech. writers,
>
> I'm trying to document a small program that generates return values that
> include decimal numbers, hexadecimal numbers, and mixed decimal and
> hexadecimal numbers. I've done a little research on my own to determine
> what the most common convention is for representing hexadecimal numbers,
> but the three computer dictionaries I consulted each list about four
> options without recommending any.
>
> Some of the options I found include
> decimal 32 = hexadecimal 20 (1)
> decimal 32 = 0x20 (2)
> decimal 32 = 20h (3)
> decimal 32 = 20H (4)
> decimal 32 = $20 (5)
> decimal 32 = &20 (6)
> decimal 32 = X'20' (7)
> decimal 32 = 20 (base 16) (8)
> decimal 32 = 20 (hex) (9)

I think that representation #2 comes from C language format specifications
--programmers will understand it, but it may not be appropriate outside of
a code sample. In text, I would probably use representation #1 or #8 the
first time I referred to a hex number--they are the most formal and correct
ways of expressing it. If I had a lot of hex numbers to talk about,
I would use representation #3 (or 4) in later references, and explain it the
first time I used it. I'd definitely stay away from #5 and #6, and #7 looks
awkward. #9 would be a little too casual for me, but your audience may vary.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation