The right dictionary (a bit of a rant)

Subject: The right dictionary (a bit of a rant)
From: Jan Stanley <jstanley -at- ROADSHOW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:30:01 -0400

TO: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU, COPYEDITING-L -at- cornell -dot- edu

I'm a new subscriber and this is my first posting, so if I've violated
any rules please tell me....but gently.

In the last couple of days I've seen postings on both the tech writers
and copyeditors lists (hence this double posting) that had to do with
people not knowing the meaning of (or being able to find a definition
for) an unfamiliar word.

I've had no problem finding any of the words in question in Webster's
Collegiate (10th is the current edition). I use Webster's Collegiate
because at some point when I was taking editing classes a teacher said
that it's recognized as being pretty authoritative, and is the "desk
dictionary" at several newspapers and other more-or-less reputable
establishments. I believe the Chicago Style Manual makes a similar
recommendation (don't have a copy with me today, so can't verify)--use
the big ol' Webster's International if you can afford it, but if you
can't, Webster's Collegiate is the one.

I've known too many editors and writers who work with whatever dictionary
happens to be hanging around the office, which is typically a cheap and
less-than-comprehensive paperback. A good dictionary is one of the
fundamental tools for a writer or editor--you MUST have one. If you work
for a company, the company should be willing to supply you with the
proper dictionary as it would supply you with pens and paper. If you're
a freelancer, make the investment (about $20 these days); it's probably a
tax-deductible business expense.

Forgive me if I'm ranting a bit.

Jan Stanley
Senior-and-only technical writer
ROADSHOW International, Inc.
jstanley -at- roadshow -dot- com

(My opinions only, unless you're silly enough to share them.)