Re: Printing bids - surprise!

Subject: Re: Printing bids - surprise!
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 16:39:59 -0400

There's still the ethical question of going for cheap labor (like buying
Nike products made in, say, Vietnam or Indonesia). Like everyone else I,
too, am partly driven by cost, but as tech writers and human beings we
should try to make sure we're not encouraging exploitation. Short-term
benefits don't always outweigh long-term losses, as we all know well from
work experiences such as when a company ignores documentation while going
full throttle for product development.

At 04:02 PM 7/2/97 -0400, T. Mazza wrote:
>Michael Collier wrote:
>
>Remember, though, that you get what you pay for. Kinkos uses minimum
>wage labor and you might not get the attention to detail you'd get from
>experienced printers. I would make sure to look at samples of similar
>finished products from each bidder before deciding on basis of estimate.

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union

For further information, e-mail me or contact the union directly:
web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
e-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org