IRS contracting rules that affect tech writers--possible change

Subject: IRS contracting rules that affect tech writers--possible change
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:58:17 -0400

Here are brief excerpts from an article posted at Wired News; the web site
says copyright, so I'm not quoting the whole thing, which you can find at:
http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/4950.html

The union reservation echoes my own (for history shows that many employers
will indeed take unpleasant actions towards employees if given the
opportunity). For me personally the change would be a great boon; the
current laws seem to discriminate against tech writing contractors, among
others, while providing a windfall for contract agencies. I would hope
(without much optimism) that Congress builds in protections for workers who
could be hurt by the change.

Here are the excerpts:

"With both houses of Congress moving forward with tax-cut bills, the
high-tech industry has its gaze on a House provision that could redefine
the status of independent contractors.

"Crafted by Representative Jon Christensen (R-Nebraska), the
independent-contractor provision would unravel the tangle of 20 common-law
factors that have long allowed the Internal Revenue Service to audit
companies, reclassify independent contractors as employees, and go after
the employers for unpaid taxes....

"Officials with the AFL-CIO and other unions say the provision will make it
easier for companies to reclassify bona fide full-time workers as
contractors and dodge minimum-wage, sexual-harassment, and other workplace
laws....

"Harvey Shulman of the DC-based National Association of Computer Consultant
Businesses said...

"'Both the majority leader in the Senate and the chair of the Finance
Committee have written letters supporting the repeal of the 1986 law. That
gives us a fair shot at getting it into the bill...'"

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union

For further information, e-mail me or contact the union directly:
web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
e-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org