Re: job angst

Subject: Re: job angst
From: Kathy Marshall <kmarshall -at- MODACAD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 09:16:16 -0700

Diane,

Take the new job!!! Run and don't look back. I was in a similar
situation before I accepted my present job. I was shocked at the 1 week
vacation policy. But as it turns out, they let me take a 3 week unpaid
vacation that I had planned before I joined them. I made it clear that I
would not accept the job otherwise (plus I wanted more $ - hehe). And to
my surprise, they're now letting me leave for 2 weeks (paid, thank you
very much) to go out of the country. All this and I haven't been here a
year yet. Of course not all companies will do this. In fact I think I'm
very lucky. But chances are the vacation policy isn't as rigid as it
sounds. It's never been at any company I've worked for (however, I
imagine at larger companies it IS more rigid).

All of the companies I have worked for were new, up and coming
businesses. In many instances, as the company grew, they expanded their
policies -- at my first company we started with no retirement plan, then
got a SEP plan, then they changed it to an excellent 401k plan -- over a
three year period. I'm sure over time, you can convince them that you
need sick days (that does seem a little strange.)

You have a tough decision to make, but I always tell people to go with
their gut feeling. If you're miserable right now, and you have a chance
to be happy, go for it. That's what really important. If you're worried
about vacation, try to arrange something contingent upon your acceptance
of the job. If you're worried about not enough health coverage, let them
know. Tell them you'd love to accept the job, but you're concerned about
a few things. Negotiate! You're worth it. If they want you bad enough,
they'll be willing to bend a little to bring you aboard.

Good luck!
-Kathy