Re: Spacing after a period...

Subject: Re: Spacing after a period...
From: Paul Harris <P -dot- Harris -at- WORDWORKS -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 07:37:32 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 22:49:50 GMT, blutz -at- manticore -dot- dv -dot- com (Bruce E.
Lutz) wrote:

>As far as I know, the rule in the style guides is one space after
>a period. Pesonally, I fell happier with one and a half, but that
>is personal taste.

This question could originally have been posted to comp.fonts, and the
typesetters who reside there (who like to count the number of angels
dancing on the heads of typographic pins) would have responded a
thousand-fold.

With proportionally spaced type, one space is certainly the only
choice, to avoid ugly rivers of white space, and disconcerting gaps
for the reader.

However, in the context of proper typesetting, a "space" is a moving
target, not a set width. It depends on the spacing built into your
font, whether your layout program does an effective job of letter- and
word-spacing, whether you are using justified or ragged text, the
amount of rag specified in non-justified text, hyphenation levels and
zones, etc. Often your layout program will not be able to equally
satisfy all conditions specified, and will then do its best under the
circumstances.

However, under ideal circumstances, one space is most appropriate for
the majority of situations.

Paul Harris

WORD WORKS TECHNICAL COMMUNICATIONS
Design & Layout
Digital Typesetting (250)384-3076
Editing & Writing (250)384-4402 (fax)

1013 Pendergast St.
Victoria, BC V8V 2W8 P -dot- Harris -at- WordWorks -dot- bc -dot- ca