Re: Inappropriate interview....(Long but I'm venting so it's ok)

Subject: Re: Inappropriate interview....(Long but I'm venting so it's ok)
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- VEDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 16:05:10 -0400

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, DWeber wrote:

[snip-ola]

> And get this, when I was asked one of the few actual technical
> questions, "What is an online helpsystem?", I proceeded to answer her
> using technical terminology. She responded by saying, "Yeah, and I'm
> supposed to know what that means?" Well then, maybe you shouldn't be
> giving the damn interview!!!!!

It seems VERY strange to me that she would play dumb with your answer to
the online help question, yet come back with questions regarding when not
to use a sans serif font and asking for specific reference book titles.

> ARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I feel your pain!

> What do you all think? Should a write a nasty letter to the company
> describing the interview process?

That's a tough call. My limited job hunting experience has taught me that
meeting an HR person does not always reflect how the company is run. A
letter to the company could expose a weak HR person, or eliminate you from
consideration as a potential troublemaker. I usually try to judge a
company by the way my potential peers/superiors answer *my* questions
regarding the company and its working environment. HR people often deal
with so many candidates (for a variety of positions) that they shouldn't
be expected to know everything about your area of expertise.

Paul