Re: Inappropriate interview....(Long but I'm venting so it's ok)

Subject: Re: Inappropriate interview....(Long but I'm venting so it's ok)
From: barryk -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 13:34:30 -0700

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, DWeber wrote:

> I had a rather annoying interview last night, over the phone. I was
> called by a human resource person from a private company to "screen"
> me before I go to a formal interview with the company I'm interested
> in. She asked me about 5 technical writing related questions...then
> started prodding into work environment questions.
>
> Now, I've had quite a few technical phone interviews before...and
> NEVER was a I asked the questions that were asked to me. These are
> only a few of the inappropriate questions (at least in my eyes).

These are good questions. They are ment to get a response to how you are
as a person. I will take a crack at answering a few...

> 1. Describe a time that you acted totally inappropriate and
> nonprofessional in your work environment....and what was the end
> result?

ANSWER:
There was this one time when I knew humor was the only way to get through
to my SME. He was a real Star Trek fan, so I went to his office with
plastic "Spock" ears on. He thought it was very funny, and we get along
great now.

Remember now, I made this story up. You do not always have to answere
hypothetical questions with real life experiences. If you do not have a
quick response to a hyopethitical question, make something up. But dont
tell big whopper lies either. Lies are very hard to remember :-|

> 2. What are some criticisms that have been given to you about your
> work?

ANSWER:
That I care too much. Some people confuse my professionalisum with anal
retentivisum. Some critics don't understand that I give my work and my
company 100 percent.

> 3. Describe a time when you tried to persuade another worker to
> "conform" to your standards...and lost the arguement.

ANSWER:
On one project, I belived that there should be both a TOC and an Index. My
coworker is a tree lover and argued that there should be one or the other.
My coworker was also my boss, and when she told me that she is always
right, I happily conceeded and let her have her way.

> The list goes on, and on. Tell me, are ANY of these personal
> questions appropriate for a technical interview...or any interview at
> ALL?????? I feel that if they want to know how you react in certain
> situations they should give you hypothetical scenarios such as "What
> would you do if ....." Not ask for personal, very specific incidents.
> Also, what do these questions have to do with my skills and
> professional ability to do the job? And if you notice, these
> question seem to linger on NEGATIVE qualities. I don't get it.

NUMBER ONE! NEVER ANSWER A NEGITIVE QUESTION WITH A NEGITIVE RESPONSE!

ALWAYS, ALWAYS! TURN IT AROUND! Just look and see how I answered the "were
you ever innoproprate" question.

Telephone interviews are a way to pre-screen. If YOU were confrounted with
fifty "good" choices, what would YOU do? You cannot interview fifty
people, that would take weeks!

Fire off some loopy questions and you can weed out the people who fluster
quickly. These people may not be a good match for what you know is going
to be a high pressure work environment.

> I'm kicking myself in the rear-end for actually answering these
> questions (45 minutes worth).

Never feel bad about how you answered. It is a learning experience. The
next time you will be prepared.

> And get this, when I was asked one of the few actual technical
> questions, "What is an online helpsystem?", I proceeded to answer her
> using technical terminology. She responded by saying, "Yeah, and I'm
> supposed to know what that means?" Well then, maybe you shouldn't be
> giving the damn interview!!!!!

It was not a technical interview. You were interviewed by some low level
assistant. Don't let it upset you.

> ARGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!
>

> What do you all think? Should a write a nasty letter to the company
> describing the interview process?

NO! You have nothing to gain, and everything to loose!

LET IT GO!

> Thanks,
> Diana Moran

If you would like more specific responses, please contact me off-line. I
have been on both sides of the interview far too many times.

Barry Kieffer