Re: Spacing after a period...

Subject: Re: Spacing after a period...
From: John Posada <JOHN -dot- POSADA -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:55:05 -0400

I also use two spaces after a peiod.

My justification...the end of a sentence is the only place where two spaces is
used. There is one space after an abreviation and one space after Mr. / Mrs.
when used in a sentence. By placing two spaces at the end of the sentence, it
signifies the end of the senetence.

What may have been done in the past, the reasons behind the limitations of
typesetting and typewriters, etc., just doesn't matter anymore. I've used two
spaces for years and never noticed, or had pointed out to me, any problems with
white-space rivers, or by old-school typesetters, etc. In fact, anytime
someone starts a discussion with "In the old days...", that is just the
justification I need to either jump all over them or simply tune them out.

Aside from the justification by some that two spaces shouldn't be done because
"it shouldn't be done", what is the reason for it? The material in this
message has two spaces between periods. Is your comprehension of the
information reduced any because of it?

John Posada
Ernst & Young
Tactical Applications Group
Lyndhurst, NJ
john -dot- posada -at- ey -dot- com
(201) 842-2699

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our
air and water that are doing it."
- Vice President Dan Quayle

07/07/97 03:37 PM
Please respond to "DDA -dot- RFC-822=ElleboRoom -at- AOL -dot- COM/P=Internet/A= /C=us" @ X400
To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU @ INTERNET
cc:

I have always used double-spacing after a period, and I appreciate those
who use this format. For me, text is easier to read and avoids a run-on
appearance that exhaust the reader before reaching a new paragraph.

I think it also adds to the importance of each sentence and avoids
looking like a string of never ending words.

Elle LaMarre
elleboroom -at- aol -dot- com

browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html