Re: spacing after a period...

Subject: Re: spacing after a period...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:56:36 -0400

<dmarguli -at- CLDX -dot- COM> wrote:

>If you are working on engineering documents, you may find that >your customers would rather sacrifice the esthetic value of a >uniformly colored page

As much as I hate to dive back into this debate, I did want to mention
that the one-space rule is not just a matter of aesthetics. Or, if it
is, it's a very utilitarian aesthetic.

Classical typography is a very practical art. It doesn't favor one space
because of a subjective set of rules. Rather, it claims - on the basis
of considerable experience - that using one space makes for a more
readable page.

Now, you may want to argue that two spaces makes for more reaability. I
suggest that typographers' expertise is probably worth listening to, but
the point is debatable.

However, with all respect, I'd like to suggest that the issue is _not_
one of aesthetics vs. readability, as you seem to suggest.
--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer / Job Bank Team, STC Canada West Coast Chapter

"And ye may tell my kith and kin,
I never did disgrace their bluid,
And if they see the bishop's cloak,
To mak' it shorter by the hood!"