Whether to Jump? Seeking advice!

Subject: Whether to Jump? Seeking advice!
From: Sharilyn Mildon <SMildon -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 23:58:19 -0400

I will be relocating to a new town in November, for personal reasons. I have
a basically great job now as a Business Systems Manager, but can't see any
way to make it work from my new home. (It would be about a two hour commute
each way.)

I currently handle the whole systems development cycle for a small IS shop
(project management, design, testing, documenting, training, implementation).
I like writing, and find that preparing the systems & training documentation
is one of the most satisfying aspects of my work.

So the options I am seriously considering are (1) Find a similar systems
development job, or (2) Start a freelance writing business.

Advantages of (1)
feels safer, as I've always worked for major companies
benefits (not a huge deal for me, as I'll have access to spouse's benefits)
the company of colleagues
a well-defined "role", structure, status, belonging, etc.
steady income

Advantages of (2)
freedom to schedule my own time
excitement of building a clientele
flexibility to work at home or in different client settings
variety
creative outlet

Any advice or thoughts you may have (especially those of you who are
freelancers) would be greatly appreciated! Please reply privately or to the
list.

Sharilyn
smildon -at- aol -dot- com