Running an efficient Online English kit

Subject: Running an efficient Online English kit
From: Mysore S Dattatreya <datta -at- WIPINFO -dot- SOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:39:27 +0500

Hi Everybody,

I am Dattatreya and belong to the technical writers guild in India. Technical
writing, I must confess, is not a seriously pursued profession in our
country. Surprisingly, English happens to be our standard second line of
communication. In the light of this a lot of preliminary training has to
be planned so to groom individuals to stand-up to the challenges of technical
writing. Therefore, we at Wipro Global R&D are planning to host an Online
mechanism, on our Intranet, so that certain basic methodologies, rules and
quick tips can be made available. The Online mechanism, you will appreciate,
supports self-paced learning and would be an efficient means of imparting
skills to effectively communicate in English. I have the following
questions in this context:

1. If such a mechanism/group exists elsewhere, please let me know what are
its common contents?
2. What is the material that people like most and how can this be made
more interesting, on an ongoing basis?
3. What are the standard reference materials that can be employed to compile
such programs?
4. We propose to concentrate on grammar and proper usage of tense, articles,
punctuation, moods, voice. How can this program be made effective to
deliver what it ought to deliver?
5. What other contents can be included so that the program can be made a fun
program? People should have fun and subsequently it should be a valuable
learning experience.
6. We propose to change the contents every week. In the light of this, how
do we manage content creation?

There could be many more hidden strings attached to such programs that can
come to light only when it is up and running. Please let me
know if there are any and chip-in with tips on running them efficiently.

Thanks and regards, Sincerely yours, M S Dattatreya.