Re: minimalist documentation?

Subject: Re: minimalist documentation?
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 16:47:19 PDT

I think a task orientation helps us over this hurdle:
1. Try to clearly identify the most common tasks the audience brings to the
project. Document those in an instructional manner. For other, more difficult
tasks, refer to other resources, specs, experts, appendices, etc.
2. Decide what you don't have to teach your target audience, e.g., skills all
of them are expected to have.
3. Try to reach everyone in the target audience, with language simple and
ample enough for the new users.

We don't have to tell customers everything there is to know about a
technology. We have to tell them how to get the thing up and running and how
to do the most common tasks.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com