Re: Framemaker vs. Word 95 - graphics linking

Subject: Re: Framemaker vs. Word 95 - graphics linking
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:01:42 -0700

On Jul 9, 6:01pm, Simon North wrote:
> Subject: Re: Framemaker vs. Word 95 - graphics linking
> > The problem
> > we've had lately is that due to server upgrades, the location of the
> > image files (which are linked, not embedded) has changed more than
> > once. MSWord's graphic links are server-specific, so even though
> > the graphics are still in H:\MANUALS etc., MS Word can't find them
> > because the actual location is different. I called MS Word and they
> > shrugged, so I have to relink everything.
> >
> > Question: does anyone know how Framemaker behaves in this situation?
> > I've never worked with the product, but we would purchase it if we
> > knew it solved this issue.
>
> FrameMaker puts the complete pathname into the file which can be a
> real pain (it even translates logical path names into an absolute
> path name).

Huh. That's not how FrameMaker works on my system--it stores only the
relative path for embedded graphics. This was how it worked when I was
using FrameMaker on Win 3.1 and NT, and how it works on my current Unix
platform. I often store a manual book file in its own directory, and
store associated graphic files in a subdirectory, and I've moved the
directories without any problems, providing I've kept the same relative
structure.

As you point out, even if you do change the relative structure, Frame
brings up a dialog box for the first missing graphics file. It asks you
to navigate to the location of the file. It will automatically look for the
rest of the graphics files from that new location.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation