Re: Degree or Not Degree?

Subject: Re: Degree or Not Degree?
From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 14:36:12 -0700

On Jul 21, 4:29pm, Katherin King wrote:
> Subject: Degree or Not Degree?
> Maybe the point isn't whether one has a degree or not, but whether they
> have the drive and wherewithal to LEARN, period, be it formally, in a
> classroom, or OTJ. There's much to be said for both, and I've done it
> both ways. I simply love to learn new things, new technology, new ways
> of translating highly technical information into something people can
> understand.

I heard a radio report this morning about a study that showed that those
with a college degree do much better financially than those without. They
said that a college degree indicated that a person was able to learn, which
is what companies want, and that companies have to take more of a risk to
hire a person without a degree. The person without a college degree may
also be able to learn, but colleges provide certification of learning
ability.

Of course, the study was funded by a group of private colleges and
universities, so that might have skewed their conclusions.

--Jeanette

--
Jeanette Feldhousen jeanette_feldhousen -at- mentorg -dot- com
Mentor Graphics Corporation