[no subject]

From: Katherin King <kking -at- BROOKTROUT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:23:50 -0400

Halfway through a masters program in Professional Writing I had
professors tell me there really wasn't anything they could teach me. I
was told that the purpose of the program was to turn mediocre writers
into good writers, and I was already past that point.

It was extremely discouraging trying to raise three young children on
loans and a grad student stipend just for a piece of paper, so I bagged
school in my last semester in favor of a "real" job. I didn't need the
degree to get a good paying job as a tech writer; what I DID have was a
B.S. in engineering, excellent writing/design/layout skills, and various
contract experience in tech writing. I may finish my masters some day,
but it's not very high on my list of priorities right now.

Kathy King
Documentation
kking -at- brooktrout -dot- com