Re: Re[2]: success with finding jobs

Subject: Re: Re[2]: success with finding jobs
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 16:33:11 -0700

At 04:44 PM 7/10/97 -0700, Carl Rudorf wrote:

> I refrain from listing my education on my resume. Earlier this year I
> had 3 solid job offers (St. Louis & Kansas City, USA). Of course, the
> subject arises during the interview. But since my BA is in Psychology
> & Philosophy the question that invariably follows is, "How did you get
> into technical writing?" Difficult as those pesky interviews are, I've
> always been led to believe I was called due to (1) 5+ years experience
> (2) the excerpts from my portfolio I include with the resume.

The role of education in resumes is a wonderful thing. Don't list it and it
might be held against you. List it and it might be held against you. If you
have advanced degrees, you might be labeled "overqualified." If you don't
have a degree, you may be considered a dolt.

Once again I fall back on my original statement: Either the resume readers
are lamebrains or they aren't. And you never know going in.

--Wayne