Re: Re[2]: success with finding jobs

Subject: Re: Re[2]: success with finding jobs
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:11:10 -0700

At 06:45 PM 7/10/97 -0700, Carol Kime wrote:

>>First of all, I take offense to lamebrained HR departments. There is a
>>reason HR departments follow this criteria.
>
>And that reason is?
>
> ------------------
> Fortunately it's been a while since I had to review U.S. labor laws, but as I
> recall, having a college degree is one of the criterion that can distinguish
> exempt and non-exempt employees. Not saying it's right or wrong to require
one
> or use it for screening, but I think that may be one of the driving
factors in
> why HR folks like to see the degree requirement on exempt positions. It's not
> impossible to hire non-degreed people in exempt positions, but makes the
> company more vulnerable to scrutiny on hiring/compensation practices and
they'd
> have to work much harder to justify exceptions.

As the originator of the "lamebrained HR departments" crack, I find this
explanation interesting and wonder if it is true. If a college degree is one
criterion, then I wonder what the other criteria are and why this one has
been elevated to pre-eminence. If the practice is widespread, then I may
have to label *all* HR departments as "lamebrained" and attribute the whole
mess to the trained incapacity of HR reps who have been unduly influenced by
labor laws.

--Wayne