Re: troubleshooting guide

Subject: Re: troubleshooting guide
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 03:22:28 -0400

In a message dated 97-07-11 01:51:03 EDT, nmcdonald -at- otech -dot- com (Nancy
McDonald) writes:

<< does anyone have some advice
regarding writing a troubleshooting guide? >>
I've usually seen these in a table, organized by problem relative to a
certain function (SIGNING ON; DOING A SEARCH; FORMATTING OUTPUT; etc.). Then
common problems with that function are listed, followed by the possible
solution(s).

The key thing I think is to consider how each problem appears to the user, no
matter what the actual cause. The fact that a database search does not work
may have to do with actual problems in the data, or simply with sloppy syntax
by the user. But all the user knows at first is that the search doesn't
work.

As a late-in-life first time car owner, I have continual experience with
this. Trouble shifting gears? Replace the transmission? Or simply check
the level of fluid (cheaper, that). But as a neophyte,.both look(ed) to me
like the same problem.

A Haynes manual, by the way, gives a slightly different model for
troubleshooting - numbered lists, organized by engine (non) function.

Simplicity and clarity are even more important here, because the person using
it may well be stressed out and not thinking clearly. Think reassuring.

Jim C.
Los Angeles