Webring

Subject: Webring
From: Robin Hilp <rolybear -at- USA -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 18:50:35 -0500

Folx, I hope this doesn't count as spam. I'm not selling anything;
it's a free thing and doesn't (supposedly) get you on any email lists.

I've started a webring for technical communicators. From the Webring
Home page (http://www.webring.org): "[A webring] allows web sites with
similar interest to form "rings" of sites, allowing netizens a fast and
efficient way to find content and a great way for sites to build traffic
and gain exposure."

If you surf much you've probably seen a webring. It appears as a block
or table on someone's page with buttons for "next site" "random site"
etc. Any web surfer can travel through a community of one to
umpty-hundred linked sites by finding the webring block on each site and clicking
one of those buttons.

Anyway, if you're interested, the Technical Communication Home page is
at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4537/twring.html. To join the ring,
you would put some HTML code (a table of links) on your page and submit
a form registering your url (the page with the new table) at the webring
"central" site.

And if this is spam in your opinion, I'm really sorry and you can
flame me if it eases your annoyance. Like I said, I don't get anything out
of maintaining a webring except that I think webrings are a neat concept.
Mine isn't a commercial site, so increased traffic, although cool and
ego-boosting, doesn't make any "material" difference to me.

Robin Hilp
rolybear -at- usa -dot- net