Re: What is the plural of...

Subject: Re: What is the plural of...
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 07:58:12 -0400

Pat Gantt wrote:

> >From the Stumpers List...
>
> What is the plural of email. Emails?

<my opinion>No change (e.g. email, e-mail, E-mail...).

Think about it. Assuming you have physical mailbox at your home and/or
office, if you have one item in it, you have mail. If you have two items
in it, you still have *mail*, not mails.

That's thinking in the collective sense. If you break it down to
individual entities in the mail, use a more specific term. If your
friend sent you two greeting cards last week, you wouldn't say "My
friend sent me two mails last week,", but you would say "My friend sent
me two cards last week." Same for e-mail. Use "messages" or "e-mail
messages".

Kim

--
Kim Keegan | Information Developer