Re: another recurring thread: policing the list

Subject: Re: another recurring thread: policing the list
From: Kim Keegan <keegan -at- EXPLORERS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:05:15 -0400

The way I see it, there are three kinds of topics:

1. Technical Communication topics (things that relate directly to the
task of technical communication)
-theory
-tools
-methods
2. Being-a-Technical-Communicator topics (things that relate to the
people who do the technical communicating)
-the c-word (c e r t i f i c a t i o n)
-dress code
-resumes, interviews, etc.
3. Lighter side (things about technical communication or those who are
technical communicators, but aren't directly related to getting the job
done or being/becoming a technical communicator)
-humor

Note that the examples I have listed for each category are obviously not
complete. Category 3 topics generally aren't supposed to appear on
three categories, and then some...

For the record, I subscribe to both TECHWR-L and TechComm mailing lists.
Some other lists to which I subscribe have charters which specifically
say that list members are not to play "topic cop" (i.e., off-topic
reprimands can come ONLY from the list owners, though I guess you could

Personally, I don't care if a new list is created. If so, I'll probably
subscribe to it too. In either case, I'll continue on as usual, by
simply deleting the messages I don't care to absorb.

Kim

--
Kim Keegan | Information Developer
ISI Data Services / Intrepid Technology