Re: Resume length

Subject: Re: Resume length
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 11:23:02 -0700

> It's a mistake to look for the magic formula that will result in a resume
> that gets you hired. In the past, I've shopped drafts of my resume around
> to lots of folks, one of which was a personnel manager. And (surprise) I
> got lots of different thoughts.

Amen. When I was teaching tech writing, one of the early assignments was
for the students to make a resume and I searched high and low for
information on resumes from credible sources (lecture material ;-). I
had no luck--there were lots of opinions, but no magic formulae. It's
definitely an audience analysis thing-- what's likely to be acceptable
in your field, with the company you're sending it to--which makes "the
resume" a great class assignment and a challenging real-life issue.