Re: Salaries

Subject: Re: Salaries
From: Mike Collier - SSG <MikeCol -at- SBSERVICES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:51:05 -0400

One thing I've noticed is that in information technology-based
organizations, the salary gap between tech writers and
engineers-programmers is narrower. For example, a large info technology
organization that pays dozens of programmers (using ballpark figures
here) say $50 an hour, doesn't worry about paying a couple of technical
writers $45 per hour. (I'm using hourly rates for examples, but I thing
the same approximate spread applies to salaried workers).

On the other hand, in manufacturing/industrial organizations, engineers
are at the top of the pay scale with a big gap between them and
technical communication professionals.

Michael Collier
mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com
SOFTBANK Services Group