Re: Technical Writer Trade Union

Subject: Re: Technical Writer Trade Union
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 12:13:13 -0400

At 12:01 PM 7/24/97 EDT, Misti Tucker USAET(UTC -04:00) wrote:
>I gather that the proposed Union would be international in scope. I don't
>think the UAW is much interested in workers outside the US.

While the NWU is indeed part of the UAW (for 6 years now), we are pretty
independent (writers after all are an independent lot, and to get our
membership's buy-in to the affiliation, our elected reps had to negotiate a
contract that respected our autonomy).

We have always had an international membership (although most of our
members are indeed in the US)--I could probably find out how many/what
countries if people really need to know (Italy, Hong Kong and Sweden at
least ring bells, but I won't swear to that).

The UAW in fact asked us to join because with the changing workforce they
wanted to learn how to organize people working independently and out of
their homes, and we've had a great deal of success at that.

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
mailto:ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union
for contract help, grievances, health benefits, lobbying, community....

For further information, e-mail me or contact the union directly:
web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
e-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org