Re: Advice needed on accepting that first tech. writing job

Subject: Re: Advice needed on accepting that first tech. writing job
From: Sharilyn Mildon <SMildon -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:36:38 -0400

Dear Kristen,

Writing is writing. I've written policy & procedures, software manuals, sales
literature, proposals, systems documentation, etc. Seems to me that once you
get a good reputation, people care more that you are a writer than exactly
what flavor of writing you have done. In fact, being a "generalist" can help.
Try writing stuff that stretches you. (Sales literature was a big stretch for
me, as I'm more of a techie than a marketing/sales type, but I survived.)

Sharilyn

Kristen Case wrote.......

I'm trying to break into the tech. writing field. My specific area of
interest is software user manuals.

However, I may soon be offered a job where I'd be writing proposals. If I do
get that job (or another less-than-ideal job), should I take it so that I'll
be able to put a tech. writing job on my resume? Or should I wait for that
perfect job?

I guess my query boils down to this: how hard is it to change areas of
concentration in tech. writing once you've established yourself in an area?