Re: LaTex and indexes

Subject: Re: LaTex and indexes
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 02:50:47 EDT

Several others have given you much more info on LaTex than I could. However, I
can certainly give you some pointers on indexing. (I was a tech writer in my
"previous life" and I'm now a professional indexer, dividing my time between
delivering indexing workshops and working on indexing projects for publishing
houses and corporate clients. I'm currently the VP/President-Elect of the
American Society of Indexers.)

If you have indexed just one small manual, I would wager that this prospective
client's project might be more than you would want to tackle, especially if you
also have to tackle the learning curve for LaTex and the problems that are bound
to arise in converting their documentation to FrameMaker.

Have you had any formal training in indexing? (Most tech writers, even those
who graduate from tech comm degree programs, haven't.) How do you feel about
the one index you created? If you are less than comfortable with the prospect
of indexing, I would highly recommend that you get some training under your belt
(fast!) if you intend to tackle the client's project.

Someone else has already mentioned the American Society of Indexers (ASI) Web
site; however, the URL was incorrect. Here's the URL:

http://www.well.com/user/asi/

Also, my Web site (http://idt.net/~lathro19 - note: that's a "nineteen" at the
end) contains tips for creating great indexes, and it also contains info on my
workshop, Indexing Skills Workshop for Technical Communicators. I have two
upcoming workshops:

8/18 - Boston (contact SOLUTIONS: solutions -at- sol-sems -dot- com)
9/12 - Boulder, CO (contact me: 76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com)

Good luck! .... Lori