Myths and Facts From SSI

Subject: Myths and Facts From SSI
From: Mike Collier - SSG <MikeCol -at- SBSERVICES -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:46:08 -0400

This is a long post but if SSI is using the following "Myths and Facts"
to sell documentation solutions to other businesses, I think they're
worth discussing on the list.

Michael Collier
mikecol -at- sbservices -dot- com
SOFTBANK Services Group
Buffalo, NY
http://www.sbservices.com
mailto:MikeCol -at- sbservices -dot- com

>From http://www.radiotower.com/ssi-can/facts.html
>

>Facts:
>
> 1.The general cost for authoring a page of documentation is:
>
> Administrative policy: $ 150 - 250
> Operational procedure: $ 250 - 350
> Technical reference: $ 400 - 900
Boy, are we underpaid.

> [...]
>
> 5.Time is money to you: What is it really costing to have you and
>your staff work on documentation and manuals
> without a complete plan?
>
> 20 minutes a day spent searching for information equals two
>weeks' full time employment over a work
> year; so there is good reason to make most effective use of
>skills and tools for any job.
>
> Typically, payroll may account for more than 50% of all
>costs; every $100.00 of gross salary costs an
> employer another $35.00 for benefits and administrative
>processing, hiring and training are extra costs.
>
> 6.There is hidden difficulty
>
> Everyone in government and industry is confident they can prepare
>a procedure manual on their work activities,
> however, few can produce one that people can easily use as a
>business tool, fewer still can undertake to revise
> it regularly, and almost nobody can report precisely how long it
>took and how much it cost.
>
> 7.Outdated Process, tools, and procedures.
>
> The PROCESS to produce page-replacement manuals is unchanged since
>World War II; computers have done
> little to improve the functionality of manuals or to reduce their
>costs - manuals are extremely complicated
> documents and are dreaded as a computer application by most
>word-processing and desk-top printing
> operators.
>
> 8.It is a mandatory, repetitive task
>
> Industry and government MUST provide accurate policy and procedure
>on a regular and timely basis to all
> employees for matters of safety in the workplace, public
>liability, environmental hazards, and legislative
> compliance; universally, manuals are vital tools for
>administrative and operational productivity.
>
> 9.Unique skills needed
>
> Administrators, technicians, and professionals receive little or
>no training on how to prepare, produce, and
> revise page-replacement manuals; typically, they were not hired to
>do that job and dislike or have little time for
> the tedious trade and technical activities the task involves, and
>in fact, producing manuals is a "part-time" task
> that requires "full-time" dedication and unique skills.
>
> 10.Existing Tools Are Ineffective
>
> The transfer of knowledge from those who have to those who need it
>remains one of the greatest challenges to
> government and industry in today's world; existing tools
>(software) are unable to provide cost-effective and
> consistent results independent of the people using them.
>
> 11.Perpetual, Hidden Expenses
>
> Manuals often require many months of preparation, but when finally
>released, their information is usually already
> out of date, then, by the time they have been revised as few as 4
>times, the cost of updating starts to exceed the
> original preparation and production costs.
>
> 12.Extreme Need, Harsh Reality
>
> 99% of the time, people urgently need to find only 1% of the
>information contained in a manual; in 1986, THE
> XEROX CORPORATION discovered that 80% of the manuals produced in

And your solutions do what to change this?

> 13.Lost Investment
>
> Education is not the same as training: training refers to
>knowledge learned from policies, procedures, and
> technical reference that CONSTANTLY CHANGE; New employees arrive
>with their education, but leave
> with your training - Work experience that is not captured,
>published, and shared is "lost" investment.
>
> Clarifying a few Myths
>
> 1."Desktop publishing" is an oxymoron, as in "jumbo shrimp";
>publishing involves more than simple page
> composition and involves authoring, preparation, production,
>distribution, implementation, budgeting, and
> scheduling.
>
> 2.A page composition program is not a system which processes
>information by adding value to it through several
> to many steps.
>
> 3.A technique for coding data for page markup is not necessarily a
>standard; even a standard may be "de facto"
> or "ad hoc".
>
> 4.SGML and HTML are techniques or "ad hoc" standards that have not
>been confirmed as "de facto" or
> mandatory standards that must be followed.
So...?

> 5."Technical writing" is also an oxymoron; most manuals should not be
>technical but should be simple and easily
> understood by any reader with only grade 10 competency.
The "technical" part of technical writing refers to the subject matter,
not the writing style.

> 6.Computers are cheap and easy to use: companies budget $2K - 6.5K
>annually to support each PC user, but
> the time that people were spending to help each other work their
>systems cost an extra $6K - $15K per
> station; Office Productivity Magazine - Jul '93
>
> 7.To be frank, if somebody said "Interleaf" to me 15 months ago, I
>would have said desktop publishing or
> glorified wordprocessing"; Phil Robling, President - Interleaf,
>Feb '93.
And the point is ...?