Re: Query: Translations & legal issues

Subject: Re: Query: Translations & legal issues
From: Keary Brandon <adreamine -at- FUTURNET -dot- FUTURNET -dot- ES>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:17:23 +0000

> From: Paula Reynolds <paular -at- MTIA -dot- MT -dot- COM>
> Our manufacturing firm has never sent electronic copies of our manual to our
> customers, due to the fear of manipulating the text and perhaps overwriting
> some of our safety descriptions and warnings.
>
> Now we have a customer who wants an electronic copy because they want to
> make a translation. Marketing wants to go ahead and send them one, and I
> say no...either we provide a translation or they can type it in themselves.=
>
> How have you folks handled this? Am I being too paranoid (probably)?

Hi Paula,

why not draw up a copyright agreement that they would sign prior to
translation and get them to agree to supply you with a hard copy and
electronic copy for QA inspection on completion? If the translation
doesn't subsequently meet your standards, build it in to the
agreement that your customer fixes any issues.

For the cost of a translation QA pass your firm get a fully localized
manual - and your customer is kept happy!

We have links with some very reputable and qualified translation
agencies (French. Spanish, German & Italian) if you'd like to explore
the idea.

All the best,

Dean