Re: Single-step procedures

Subject: Re: Single-step procedures
From: Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:15:51 -0400

Christopher Knight wrote:
> A reviewer has just asked me to change this to a number 1 "for
> consistency". I figure a number 1 implies more than one step.

Yes, and using a list in the first place implies more than one member,
IMHO. If your procedure is only one step, why are you placing it in a
list at all?? Why not just throw the one-sentence procedure onto a line
and indent the text so that is flush left with where your numbers or
bullets would go?

Instead of

To open a file:
1. Select file.

To open a file:
. Select file.

Why not:

To open a file:
Select file.
"Opinions? I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention."
Peter Brown, Technical Writer (pbrown -at- mks -dot- com)
Mortice Kern Systems Inc. (

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at