Re: Word 7 hangs

Subject: Re: Word 7 hangs
From: Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:37:08 PDT

<snip> My advice to you is to go to the most recent backup copy, kiss
the work you've done since then goodbye, and get on with your life. The
amount of time you would spend re-entering the lost work will be less
than the amount of time you spend trying to recover the file.</snip>

This happened to me at my previous job! I wrote a 100 page user's guide
for a proprietary software product that was 13MB in size (it was full of
screen captures -- that's why it was so huge).

Anyway, near the end of the project, after an entire day's worth of
***VERY*** tedious editing, Word corrupted my document and turned it
into a 900 page monster with about three lines of gibberish on each
page! It repaginated and repaginated and repaginated until I was
literally red-faced from screaming, "MAKE IT STOP! DAMMIT! MAKE IT
STOP!"

All I could do was wait for MIS to restore the previous day's edition
from backup tape the next morning. (Meanwhile, I found comfort in some
very old Genesis (1976) and a pint of Guiness Stout.)

From that point on, I saved each section of the manual as a separate
file--less than 1MB each. Tedious, but I never had that problem again.

Cheryle

"Finding the answer, it's a human obsession. But you might
as well talk to the stones and trees and the sea,
'Cause nobody knows,
And so few can see."

-from "Estonia" by Marillion