Re: TW vs. creativity

Subject: Re: TW vs. creativity
From: Chris Daunhauer <cdaunhauer -at- LSIJAX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:43:34 -0400

I'd like to take issue with Steven Jong concerning his advice that:
----------
> . . . .if you want to write creatively, starting from a blank page
(screen), then write novels.

Technical writing is indeed creative. It is creative in that it balances
needs with expectations, develops and markets solutions to often complex
problems, and happens as a result of collaboration with others .

Our field is too often maligned by those who hold with Richard Vanderweigh
(sp?) calls the conveyor belt model. That is-nerds in white lab coats
working in a "sterile" environment turning out neat little packages of most
often useless instructions on why the sky is blue.

I've often though it would be much easier to write novels than doc. Less
restrained by budgets, facts, tool problems, ethics questions, undocumented
features, updates and patches, audience expectations, looming release
dates, etc. etc.

Can I get a witness?

chris daunhauer
mailto:cdaunhauer -at- lsijax -dot- com