Re: Providing Salary Info

Subject: Re: Providing Salary Info
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 01:36:10 -0700

Hey, Matthew, thanks for the headhunter.net tip!

>When being courted by a company's HR person, it seems that they always
>want to know what salary I am currently earning. Do you think that it is
>bad to reveal this information in terms of negotiating my salary later
>with the hiring manager? Should I keep that to myself, or does it even
>matter?

That can be a trick question, sometimes... While I'm not necessarily
recommending being cute with them, there are a couple of points to
consider...

"What sorta money are you looking to make on this assignment?"

"Oh, I dunno <batt-batt>, I know folks makin' $80/hr for this sorta thing..."

"What is your current salary?"

"I'm paid by project milestone on this one..."

"Well, estimate an hourly rate for me."

"Checkbox number three on the Non-Disclosure Agreement I signed with the
client sez I will not discuss my pay rates, nor estimate, nor attempt to
estimate salary ranges with other consultants or third parties." <--
important, check the fine print! If the agency calls your previous client
and throws a number at 'em, and they have such an NDA, you'll be in hot
water!

"Sarn't Harper a good Sarn't?"

"Sir! Gunnery Sergeant Harper is my Drill Instructor!"

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.
Phoenix, Arizona

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com
http://www.vr2link.com
"Show up, be there, think it up and do it, exceed your job-description,
control your own means of production (that's yer brain)! "