Re: Providing Salary Info

Subject: Re: Providing Salary Info
From: Richard Danca <rdanca -at- UIE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 12:02:12 -0500

First, thanks for the tip on headhunter.net.

Second, in answer to your question on disclosing salary: to quote my
boss, "Well... it depends."

-- If the HR person asks how much you *want*, the rule is: he who
speaks first, loses. It's not a bad idea to indicate that you'll also
want to consider benefits, bonuses, working conditions....

-- If they're asking how much you now earn -- and you're interested
in working for the company -- you pretty much have to tell them.
However, it's OK to say, " $xx,000, but I also get bonuses, excellent
benefits.... etc."

-- If the headhunter asks, you *MUST* tell him/her. Otherwise, it
will be impossible for the headhunter to place you. They must have a
salary range, at least, in order not to look in the wrong place or
send you to the wrong place.

Hope this helps.

(Also: Hope you saw my recent post on TECHWR-L about Coopers and
Lybrand's salary study.)

You wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:13:21 -0400
> From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>