Salary info from Coopers and Lybrand survey

Subject: Salary info from Coopers and Lybrand survey
From: Richard Danca <rdanca -at- UIE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 13:57:33 -0500

First: apologies if this is a duplicate posting. I haven't seen my
first attempted posting appear on TECHWR-L.

I recently got a quick look at the "10th Annual Survey of Compensation
in the Software Industry" by Coopers and Lybrand.

Here's what the survey says about technical writers' pay in the United
States.

Average: $42,000

Mid-Atlantic: $44,000
Midwest: $44,000
Northeast; $48,000
Southeast: $38,000
West Coast: $46,000

The range went from a high of $53,000 (companies in the Northeast with
revenues above $25 million) to a low of $36,000 (companies in the
Midwest with revenues from $15 million to $24.9 million).

NOTES:

The survey covered *only* salary plus bonuses (i.e., not benefits, stock
options, etc.).

Coopers and Lybrand placed the responding companies into about a
half-dozen revenue ranges. There were pay variations among all of
those.

In some categories (area and revenue) there were few responses; this
clearly would skew the results _ already a little squirrely because
they're self-reported.

Coopers and Lybrand's definition of a tech writer: "Writes, updates
and revises existing documents and new material based on guidelines.
Uses writing, production, technical planning and interpersonal skills
to meet all scheduled deadlines. May report to the Head of Customer
Service."

I do NOT have access to this book any more. I saw it at a company (not
mine) that received it as a member of the Massachusetts Software
Council. Other similar state and regional software organizations also
paid for the study. It's likely their member companies have copies
available. I do not know any other way to get the book or its
information (though a web search might yield some results??).

Hope this is useful....