Re: Air force 1 in Australia

Subject: Re: Air force 1 in Australia
From: Paul Baechler <bachp -at- HIWAAY -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 23:42:35 -0600

On 7/30/97 5:01 AM Irene Wong wrote:

>A couple of quotes attributed in the newspaper to the coroner:
>RAAF instructions for the use of a Boeing 707 transporet jet were
>"grossly inadequate".
>
>The paper said:
>"While finding the captain of the plane ultimately responsible for the
>crash ... [the coroner] strongly criticised the RAAF for inadequate
>supervision, traiing and lack if documentation about flying
>procedures....But because there was no formal RAAF instructions on the
>proceedure [minimum control speed} Squadron Leader Lewin had been forced
>to devise his own instructions, leading to inconsistency and lack of
>standardisation".

Coroner? I son't know how they do things in Australia, but in most
countries military aircraft accidents are investigated bu an accident
investigation board convened by the service involved. The average coroner
has neither the training nor the experience to adequately investigate an
aircraft accident. This looks like a local politician hoping for some
free publicity.

BTW, a Boeing 707, like any other certificated aircraft, is delivered
with a FAA approved flight manual, which would cover minimum control
airspeeds.