Advice re: Consistency review

Subject: Advice re: Consistency review
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 10:44:19 -0500

I could use some advice/tips from all of you experienced techwhirlers out there. Over the past few weeks, I've written an entire new line of literature for a new product line at my company. At the current time, this consists of 12 sell sheets for buyers (w/ specs, order info, features/benefits bullet lists, descriptive copy, etc.), a consumer info brochure, a 10-page consumer-oriented flipbook (to be hung next to product displays in retail outlets), and copy for numerous boxes. In the future, I'll also be adding 2-3 sell sheets, more detailed consumer info literature, web pages, and new/revised product manuals to this list. The literature I've already written had to be rushed through our ad company so they could prepare color comps to be displayed at an upcoming trade show, so I have been unable to perform much more than cursory edits of the material up to this point. In the next few weeks, however, I'll be starting to review all of the materials together for consistency. I have been working to compile a style guide (none existed when I started here six months ago), but it's far from complete.

Now the question: anyone have tips, tricks, advice on how to structure an extensive consistency review? I'm most interested in how to get my ducks in a row before I start...organizational strategies, so to speak. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what has worked/failed for others.

Thanks!

Jennifer Jelinek
mailto: jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com
Ametek water filters