Using capital letters

Subject: Using capital letters
From: Chuck Martin <cmartin -at- SEEKERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:56:10 -0700

Why wait for the weekend? It sound like this writer has a somewhat severe
case of Capitalitis. Perhaps she used to be a headline writer when many
newspapers used this style (unfortunately, some still do).

In your example, capitalizing the adjective for LED is in no way called
for. Besides, "red" is far too ambiguous (I'm assuming this LED has a
label). Use the label rather than the color: "The Power Off LED...."

It's difficult to address the second instance without knowing what is being
described. I may or may not capitalize the "p" in "panel," depending on if
it appears in the actual name of the described object. But (relating this
to describing software), I wouldn't say "Alarm Dialog Box;" the dialog box
title would be simply "Alarm," so the correct denotation would be "Alarm
dialog box."

I suppose we should be grateful that she doesn't write "key words" in all
capitals....

--
"You don't look American"
"Everyone looks American, because Americans are from everywhere"