Re: Using capital letters

Subject: Re: Using capital letters
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:02:37 -0700

At 04:18 PM 8/8/97 -0500, Mike Huber wrote:
>Have them read Ben Franklin's autobiography. That'll cure them of caps!
I presume we are talking about initial caps here.

FWIW, what seems like excessive capitalization in Ben Franklin's
autobiography is actually an 18th century publishing convention: all Nouns
in a Sentence are capitalized, whether they are proper Names or not.
Modernized texts may or may not follow that convention. I believe the same
convention is followed today in German language books and magazines.

Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
"Connecting People With Information"

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at