Re: Contract & full-time jobs on resume

Subject: Re: Contract & full-time jobs on resume
From: "Nina L. Panzica" <panin -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 18:28:27 -0500

>On Thu, 7 Aug 1997, Anne Chenette wrote:

>> Does anyone have a sample resume they would be willing to share?
>> Or the URL of a web resume?

I maintain a list of (at this writing) almost 40 links to the online
resumes, company pages, and employment histories of technical writing
consultants. I visit each site before I link to it, and in doing so, I've
learned that there's an enormous variety in the way people present their
skills. I've also picked up a few useful tips that I've incorporated into
my personal resume.

For example, one online resume I looked at had an area where the writer
indicated what her current status was: whether she was on contract or
looking for work right now, and if on contract when she'd next be
available. I'm one of those consultants who only takes on one contract at
a time, so letting people know when I will next be actively looking for
work makes good sense for me. As a result, I recently put a similar
"employment status" area at the top of my online resume.

If you are wondering how to put together a writing consultant's resume, it
might help to take a look at what other writers have done online, and then
incorporate into your resume those features that look like they'd work for
you. If you want to look at the online resumes of the writers linked on my
page, go to:

and then click on either the writer's company name or, if he hasn't a
company name, the words, "online resume" to go to that writer's page.

At the bottom of my writing links page, I list some other places where you
can find links to technical writer home pages, including a huge technical
writing area on the Yahoo! site.

Nina P.

PS: If you're not linked to my page and you want to be, please see my
instructions page for details:

Nina Panzica
Masterpiece Media
(404) 237-7889
Can't reach me at the above number? Try my pager: 404-596-7889
mailto:panin -at- mindspring -dot- com

Links to other Technical Writers:

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at