Re: HTML vs. PDF?

Subject: Re: HTML vs. PDF?
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:51:39 +0100

On 8 August 1997, Geoff Hart geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:
> For online information, the jury is still out. Microsoft
> has decreed that everyone must have the internet on our
> desktops, whether we want it there or not, and in the
> Microsoft environment, it's hard to see how any other
> standard than HTML help will survive in the long run. I'll
> be interested to see whether they port their HTML help
> engine to the Mac for use with Microsoft products there. I
> know nothing about UNIX online info., so can't comment.

FWIW, I'm currently evaluating the beta HTML Help Workshop. In the
documentation, Microsoft state (of the beta version) "The Java applet
planned as a cross-platform solution for Table of Contents and Index is not
included". From this, I infer that the final release will support anything
that supports either ActiveX or Java.

Geoff Lane
(geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net)
Languages with GOTO's are Wirth-less !

Search the archives at or search and
browse the archives at