Re: problems with text in gif image on web page, suggestions???

Subject: Re: problems with text in gif image on web page, suggestions???
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 10:28:40 +0100

On 15 August, 1997 Michael Little <ur004135 -at- MAIL01 -dot- MEL -dot- AONE -dot- NET -dot- AU> wrote:

> Hello,
> I seem to be having problems generating large text with a drop
> shadow on my web page:
>
> http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hypercom/HypCmOvview.htm
>
> The text edges appear to be jagged, and the drop show seems to be
> pixelated. Yet when I view the image in a bitmap editor such as paint
> shop pro, the edges appear clean (to test this right mouse click on
> the image, and save it to a file, and view it in a bitmap editor).
>
> 1. what is causing this problem?

Within your HTML, you've specified an image width and height that is
different to the image's "natural" dimensions. This causes the browser to
expand your image to meet your specification (i.e. you're distorting a 380
pixel x 402 pixel image to fit into 499 pixel x 377 pixel box). The
browser interpolates when it resizes the image and this is why your graphic
appears "pixelated".

> 2. What can I do to fix this problem? Is there a special setting or
> HTML I need to include to overcome this problem?

Either redesign your page to match the graphic size, resample the graphic
to 499 x 377, or redo the graphic so that its "natural" size is 499 x 377.

HTH

Geoff Lane
(mailto:geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net)